Egypt's Presidential Elections Set for December 2023
Announcement of Election Dates
- The National Election Authority (NEA) has confirmed that Egypt's presidential elections will be held in December 2023.
- Voting for residents of Egypt will take place on 10, 11, and 12 December 2023, while Egyptians living abroad can cast their votes on 1, 2, and 3 December 2023 at Egyptian Embassies and Consulates.
Candidacy Filing Period
- Prospective candidates for the 2024 presidential election can file for candidacy between 5 October and 14 October 2023.
- This provides an opportunity for individuals interested in running to officially declare their intention to participate.
Runoff Elections and Dates
- If no candidate secures 50 percent or more of the vote, runoff elections will be held.
- Runoff elections in Egypt will take place on 8, 9, and 10 January 2024, while at Egyptian Embassies and Consulates abroad, they will be held on 7 January 2024.
Candidate Roster and Final Announcement
- The initial roster of candidates will be released on 16 October, giving the public an overview of those running for the presidency.
- The final list of candidates will be disclosed on 9 November, providing a comprehensive list of individuals vying for the position.
- The winner of the presidency will be announced no later than 16 January 2024.
Incumbent President's Decision
- Although President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi's second term ends in 2024, he has not yet officially announced whether he intends to run for a third term.
- In 2018, Al-Sisi secured his second term with an overwhelming 97 percent of the total votes.