Box Office Report: "The Nun 2" Takes the Lead, "Barbie" Drops to Fourth, and Shahrukh Khan at Fourth Place
1. "The Nun 2" dominates the American box office, earning $33 million in its first week, surpassing the action film "The Equalizer 3" which came in second with $12 million, totaling $62 million in its second week of release.
2. The comedy film "My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3" takes third place with $10 million in its opening week, while the action film "Jawan" lands in fourth place with $7.5 million in its debut week. The comedy film "Barbie" follows in fifth place with $5.7 million, reaching a total of $620 million after two months of commercial release.
3. The superhero film "Blue Beetle" secures the sixth position with $3.8 million, accumulating a total of $64 million in commercial release for a month. Meanwhile, the racing film "Gran Turismo" takes seventh place with $3.5 million, earning a total of $36 million after three weeks of release.
4. The biographical film "Oppenheimer" claims the eighth spot with $3.1 million, accumulating a total revenue of $315 million after two months since its release. The animated film "TMNT: Mutant Mayhem" follows in ninth place with $2.8 million, reaching a total of $112 million after nearly a month of release.
5. The comedy film "Bottoms" lands in the tenth and final position with $2 million, accumulating a total of $7.6 million after three weeks of release.
The second installment of "The Nun" takes place in 1956 in France, where a priest is mysteriously murdered. Efforts unite to stop an evil force that could destroy everyone. This film serves as a continuation of the events from the first film, "The Nun," released in 2018, which achieved unprecedented success, grossing $365 million worldwide with a production budget of only $22 million.
The entire film was shot in an abandoned church in France, featuring a talented young cast including Teresa Farmiga, Jonas Bloquet, Storm Reid, Ana Popplewell, Bonnie Aarons, Caitlin Rose Downie. Expectations are high for the second installment to surpass the success of its predecessor.
"The Nun" is a spin-off from "The Conjuring" horror film series, which started in 2013 and has garnered immense popularity. The production company has since released several installments due to the film's impressive earnings, surpassing $300 million from a production budget of just $20 million.